Safety First:
For your safety, your family's safety, and the safety of future guests and occupants of your home, and to avoid expensive mistakes - Do not perform any structural repairs, renovations or construction projects that our beyond your skill level.
When do I need a building permit:
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Town's building codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
For Example, you need a permit if you perform or authorize the performance of:
  • Adding a room
  • Build, demolish, or move a carport, garage, or shed of more than 120 square feet and/or greater than 10' in height.
  • Finish and attic, garage, or basement to make additional living space.
  • Cut a new window or door opening, or widen existing openings.
  • Move, remove or add walls.
  • Build a stairway.
  • Build a retaining wall more than four feet high or supporting a surcharge.
  • Build a deck or install a concrete patio.
  • Install, replace or repair any roofing, stucco or siding.
  • Install gutters and or down spouts.
If you are not sure you need a permit, call the Town Hall at 410-658-5353 for more information.

What can I do without a permit?

Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:


 1.     One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet (11 m2). (zoning approval still required)

 2.     Fences not over 6 feet (1829 mm) high.   (zoning approval still required)

 3.     Oil derricks.   (zoning approval still required)

 4.     Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of  the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.

 5.    Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.

 6.     Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.

 7.     Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.

 8.     Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.

 9.     Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 925 L) and are installed entirely above ground.   (zoning approval still required)

10.    Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.

11.    Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one- and two-family dwellings.

12.    Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.

13.    Nonfixed and movable fixtures, cases, racks, counters and partitions not over 5 feet 9 inches (1753 mm) in height.
14.    Blow insulation into existing homes
15.    Instal storm windows.
16.    Replace doors or windows if the existing openings aren't widened